In Mathematics we are focused on ensuring that students:
- develop fluent knowledge, skills and understanding of mathematical methods. nd concepts in Number, Algebra, Ratio and Proportion, Statistics and Probability and Geometry.
- acquire, select and apply mathematical techniques to solve problems.
- reason mathematically, make deductions and inferences, and draw conclusions.
- comprehend, interpret and communicate mathematical information in a variety of forms appropriate to the information and context.
5 year SOL
Mathematics uses a 5 year curriculum that uses a ‘stage not age’ approach to ensure that all students are taught at the right starting point to continue in their learning and enjoyment of mathematics.
Students are assessed throughout the term using independent task and then in a module test at the end.
Year 10 and 11
In year 10 and 11 there is particular focus on developing exam technique alongside teaching and learning to ensure that students can confidently apply their understanding of mathematics.
GCSE Course Title: 1MA1 9-1 EDEXCEL GCSE Maths
Examination Board: EDEXCEL
Paper 1 - Non calculator 1 hour 30 minutes
Paper 2 - Calculator 1 hour 30 minutes
Paper 3 - Calculator 1 hour 30 minutes
Foundation – Grade 1-5
Higher – Grade 4-9
- Ratio and Proportion
- Statistics and Probability
- Geometry and Measure
Tracking assessments will continue regularly throughout year 10 and 11 at least half termly and take the form of tests and practise examinations. There will be a formal Mock examination period during Autumn 2 in year 11.
There will be homework tasks assigned on Doddle that students will need to complete. It is vital that these tasks are completed in the time frame to ensure the full learning experience is covered. Homework completion is one of the criteria for qualifying for the termly Rewards Trip.
Throughout our curriculum we will provide activities and opportunities for children to develop the skills they need to identify risks and stay safe. This will also be extended to include material that will encourage our children to develop essential life skills.
All students are expected to bring a pen, pencil, ruler and rubber in order to be prepared for learning.
Mathematics opens to the doors to many jobs particularly in Engineering, Finance, and Construction to name a few.